Thursday, August 09, 2007

Movies: My Recommendations

I recently added one more thing to my addiction bag- MOVIES. You could say I picked it up from a very good friend and a movie addict, before he left for the states recently. No, I just don't watch any movie I get.... I am hunting for some "quality movies", the ones that tend to influence or inspire you big time... the ones which make you think and change your outlook towards the world.

I knew all along that I was gonna see these "quality movies" some or the other time... but out of laziness and disinterest, had thought of seeing them in old age :D

Glad I am done with my Engineering and back to my usual self (Free Bird) plus ample availability of time (No responsibility, girlfriends etc) that I started this "hobby" and am half a connoisseur of movies already. But I've to admit, I was completely wrong when I used to think earlier that this would be a waste of time. Now I regret why I didn't start watching earlier.. But its better late than never. I assure you that watching these movies will reinstate your faith in the world and life in general... Ok I am getting too philosophical here ;)

I discovered and confirmed my liking in Biographies, Drama, Romance, Travel and Real Life stories. I have always loved to read about people, how they turned their life around in difficult circumstances, how they started companies, how they travelled round the world et al. In short, I am inspired by real world stuff.

Ok... Time for the recommendations... Click on them to know more, from the IMDB (Internet Movie Database... cool huh? Make friends with IMDB)

The Best of them all: (in no particular order)

Diarios de motocicleta (The Motorcycle Diaries) (2004)
Vita รจ bella, La (Life is Beautiful) (1997)
October Sky (1999)
The World's Fastest Indian (2005)
Rain Man (1988)
The Godfather (1972)
Before Sunrise (1995)
The Pursuit of Happyness (2006)
The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
Nuovo cinema Paradiso (1988)

Really Good Movies:

Escape from Alcatraz (1979)
12 Angry Men (1957)
The Pianist (2002)
The Sting (1973)
Leben der Anderen, Das (The Lives of Others) (2006)
The Apartment (1960)
Office Space (1999)
The Usual Suspects (1995)
Cast away (2000)
Man on the Moon (1999)
The Insider (1999)
Double Indemnity (1944)
Midnight Run (1988)
A Beautiful Mind (2001)
Memento (2000)
Sideways (2004)
Heat (1995)
Wall Street (1987)
Men of Honor (2000)
The Departed (2006)
The Straight Story (1999)
No Country for Old Men (2007)
Back to the Future (1985)
Back to the Future Part II (1989)
The Notebook (2004)

Good Movies:

Serpico (1973)
Some Like It Hot (1959)
Before Sunset (2004)
Inside Man (2006)
Sunset Boulevard (1950)
The 40 Year Old Virgin (2005)
Donnie Brasco (1997)
Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
Just Like Heaven (2005)
The Girl Next Door (2004)
Carlito's Way (1993)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
L.A. Confidential (1997)
Good Will Hunting (1997)
The Hurricane (1999)
Ocean's Eleven (2001)
The Last King of Scotland (2006)
What Women Want (2000)
A Walk to Remember (2002)
Anger Management (2003)



That's all I remember now... Will have to keep updating this post. The distinction of the movies might be different for you... I made the categories as per my thinking about the movie. There are a lot more movies I could've mentioned... but they're too common.... (again it just might be me)


Your movie taste meter increases as you recollect having seen one of these :P
Ok I know there are much better movie connoisseurs than me and that I've to watch a lot more greats yet.. ... but what the heck :)

Please fire some comments and recommendations.

I gotta go watch a Movie now... Seeya

--> Last Updated July 18 2008

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow only 2 2006 movies.

Shru said...

hey i have seen some movies in ur list
before sunrise
befre sunset!man they r so awesome..nd so uniquely shot..just loeved dem..
den life is beautiful..anoder must watch
shawshank nd alcatraz..damn motivating..
wel its nice u given a list der..will watchthem soon :)

Serendipity said...

1) Memento. watch it. thank me later
2) A beautiful Mind
3) Cast away
4) Good Will Hunting
5) Men of Honour

Ashutosh Deo said...

Yeah.. Thanks for reminding...Goodwill hunting is next on my list...

Seen 2nd and 3rd... I had almost mentioned them here.. but since they are so common :)

Rohit said...

Try the following n check if ya like them :
City of God ( Cita de Deus)
Big Fish
The Departed

Anonymous said...

Add 'World's fastest indian' to ur list

...priyank:)

Rishabh said...

amazin taste i must say...
in 2 days i saw 8 movies..thanx to u..
before sunrise...i neva thought i wud appreciate a romantic movie that much...brilliant movie..
motorcycle diaries...it made me go on a bike ride at night...made me write a blog...
ooops sry it was a comment..shud stop at that

Hardik said...

Hmm.. cool.. well u certainly picked the best to watch.. but then again there are some more categories i'd recommend.. try out some chaplin movies.. i know most of us have seen it in their childhood.. but still give it a try and wen u've seen some chaplin movies see "Chaplin" the movie by richard attenborough..

also catch up on some animation movies mate :-) Hayao miyazaki movies for instance..